How you insure yourself during foreign studies

For those who are uninsured abroad it can be costly. Therefore, it is advisable to find out what insurance is required to avoid unpleasant surprises in good time.

To study or work abroad, it is important to supplement the travel insurance in home insurance with a special insurance.

– Regular travel insurance applies only to tourists and often excludes damage due to work or internship, “says Adam Svendsen, lawyer at Consumer Insurance Agency.

** Within EU / EEA, you have ** the right to hospital, medical and dental care, in the same way as your own residents. If you need urgent care, you will pay the same patient fees as everyone else. All you have to do is turn to healthcare providers who are connected to the general healthcare system in your country.

In other countries, you are usually not entitled to any care but have to sign a private insurance covering the costs of any medical care.

“Even if you are entitled to medical care in the country where you are going to study, you should subscribe to supplementary insurance that covers costs in addition to your own health care if you are getting sick or in case of an accident, such as home transport expenses and the like,” says Adam Svendsen.

A common problem is not to plan the stay in advance.

“The person who stays away for longer than is intended must ensure that the insurance is extended before the old goes out. Otherwise, it can be a problem that is both difficult and very expensive to insure, “he says.

Everyone who goes abroad as exchange students is covered by the state’s insurance for foreign studies. Student insurance is free and applies if you study or practice at foreign schools or companies with which your university or college has an agreement.

– There is usually no supplementary insurance in addition to home insurance. However, in some cases, anyone who is going to study in the United States may need to subscribe to the insurance offered by the University as we can not always meet all their requirements.

This entry was posted in My Blog.